If you can't find, if you can't find it let us know and we can order it in.
Cairns Veterinary Clinic
HopStop® spray is a convenient and effective way to control cane toads. When used properly, it’s safe for people and pets, and is humane for the toads. HopStop® has been developed for use in home gardens and similar outdoor settings.
Be sure it’s a cane toad!
It’s important to be sure that your target is a cane toad, not a native frog. Native frogs are an important part of our national biodiversity, and are under threat in many ways, including from cane toads. They are also legally protected fauna, and must not be harmed.
If you’re not sure you’re dealing with a cane toad, take a moment to look at these pictures and check key features of the animal. Cane toads have distinctive
- bulging ‘poison gland’ areas on their shoulders, and
- a bony ‘M-shaped’ ridge over their nose, but
- do not have suckers on their toes.
If you still can’t decide, there are other websites that could help you – there are pictures of the native frogs from your region at http://www.frogsaustralia.net.au/frogs/bioregions.cfm and more pictures of cane toads at http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/content/view/4982/2172/
How to use HopStop®
Full directions for using HopStop® are on each can. You should read and understood them before using the product. The directions provided below are a guide to using HopStop®, but you should also read the more detailed ones on the can.
- Shake the can briefly and gently before use. Before using the can for the first time, remove the tear-off tab from the top of the trigger.
- Hold the can upright about 20-30 cm from the toad and spray the toad for 2-3 seconds. The toad will hop for a short time, then stop moving and flatten into a ‘hunched’ position. If you think that a lot of the spray missed the toad, apply another short spray. Large toads (more than 10 cm long) should be sprayed a second time.
- Where possible, let the toad stay where it stops moving. It will lose consciousness and then die there. The dead toad should be collected 1-2 hours later, and placed into garbage. Do not directly handle toads whether they’re dead or alive – wear gloves, or use an implement such as a pair of tongs.
- HopStop® should only be used outdoors. Do not use it inside buildings or other enclosed areas, and do not inhale the spray. Do not spray it towards yourself, other people or animals, and avoid direct application to plant foliage. Do not spray it into or over dams or fishponds.
Hints on using HopStop®
HopStop® has been trialled successfully in a wide range of locations and settings. However, knowing a few basic aspects of toad behaviour can also assist with its use.
- The toad will try to hop away from you and the spray. A toad that is close to a feature such as a wall, fence or rock has fewer routes for escape, and can be a prime target.
- The toad will react to being sprayed by trying to hop to cover. Watching where it hops, and allowing it to find a place to settle quietly can be more effective than chasing it. Chasing the toad is likely to alarm it, causing it to panic and try to hop further and faster.
Precautions when using HopStop®
HopStop® is supplied in a pressurised dispenser, and should be treated like any other aerosol product. The contents of the can are highly flammable and the product should not be stored or used near any sources of ignition, naked flames or any incandescent material. Do not smoke while using HopStop®. Store the can in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Avoid contact of HopStop® with your skin, eyes and clothes. Wear suitable clothing, and wear gloves when using the product or handling toads. In case of accidental skin contact, wash the affected area immediately with soap and water. In case of eye contact, wash eyes immediately with water.
If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or the Poisons Information Centre (Tel: 131 126).
Do not puncture or incinerate the can even once it is empty. Keep the product out of the reach of children. Deliberately concentrating and/or inhaling the contents could be harmful or fatal.
Where can I buy it?
HopStop® is available in Australia in major hardware stores.
HopStop® is a product of Pestat Pty Ltd, made under license by Hopstop Australia Pty Ltd.