Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cane toad poisoning

Cairns Pets often chase cane toads, especially during wet weather.  Cane toads produce a powerful toxin from glands on their back which can cause severe toxicity in pets.  Cairns dogs are most commonly affected.  If your pet is poisoned, wash their mouth thoroughly with water to remove the venom.  Be careful not to be bitten.  Many pets recover with this simple first aid, but if your pet is severely affected (such as having seizures) then contact your Vet as emergency treatment may be required.


No comments:

Post a Comment