Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Veterinary emergencies: poisoning

Cairns Pets are vulnerable to many poisonings and intoxications, including tick paralysis, cane toad poisoning, rat bait poisoning, lead poisoning (from lead based paint when people renovate old houses eg. Queenslanders), plant poisoning (eg. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, Lily poisoning in cats), food poisoning from rotten food or garbage, toxic human foods like chocolate, sultanas, macadamias, onions. 
Other common toxins include human and pet medications, household poisons and baits, antifreeze, some houseplants, and sugarfree chewing gum.
Many of these toxins will cause neurological signs (eg tremors, weakness, loss of balance, shaking), vomiting or diarrhoea.
If your pet shows a change in behavior, especially difficulty walking, weakness, tremors, or not eating, this could be the first signs of serious toxicity and you should take them to see your vet.  If you aren't sure what to do, call your vet if you have any concerns.
Cairns Vet Clinic offers a 24 hour emergency service, so you can contact us with any concerns.  Obviously, don't leave problems till after hours that can be treated during the day, we hate getting calls at 3am that start with "my dog has been off his food for 4 days and now I'm worried"!


No comments:

Post a Comment